- Last Updated: 18 March 2016 18 March 2016
KLM Football Club is looking for club referees! Anyone can become a referee..men, women, boys and girls. This is a job opportunity where you are paid for each game you officiate.Interested? Then:
- You need to be at least 12 years of age or older.
- You don't need to be in great shape although it helps especially if you want to get into the more competitive games and older age groups.
- The rules of soccer are not all that difficult. There are only 17 laws to understand and apply.
- You will receive initial training on these laws and how to be an official. The club will pay for you to attend, although you must complete the course.
- Yes, there is a test at the end of the course but it is not difficult and the majority of people who attend an Officiating Course pass on their first try.
If you are interested in becoming a referee, please contact Rob Sangara
- Minimum age for small-sided game (less then 11-aside) referees is 12.
- Minimum age for a Youth Referee is 14.
- Minimum age for a District Referee is 16.
KLM is responsible for providing referees for the following levels and games:
- Referees (Youth or District Referee) at U11 and U12
- Assistant referees (District Referee) at divisional levels (U16-U18)
- Referees (Small Sided Referee or Youth/District Referee) at U9 and U10.
The Vancouver District which is the Vancouver Youth Soccer Association (VYSA) is responsible for providing referees for the following boys' and girls' home games:
- All league games (U13-U18).
- All district and inter-district cup games (U13-U18).
- All BCSA Cup games.
- All Coastal Cup games (referees and assistants)
Small Sided Referee Clinics
The Small Sided Referee Clinic is the basics of refereeing and is offered to individuals who are no less than 12 years of age. Once an individual is successful in passing this clinic, they are classified as a Small Sided Referee and may officiate in any match with players between U-6 and U-12.
Prerequisite: Minimum 12 Years old
Clinic Length: 6 hours
Clinic Time: will depend on the request
Clinic Fee: $25.00 (plus $4.25 user fee / system processing fee) NOTE: as of April 1, 2015 the Small Sided Referee Clinic Fee is $40.00 (plus $4.25 user fee / system processing fee.
Schedule of Clinics and Registration
Entry Level Referee Clinics
The Entry Level Referee Clinic is the entry point into 11 a-side soccer. Once an individual is successful in passing this clinic they will be classified as a Youth Referee (if they are 14 or 15 years old) or a District Referee (if they are 16 years old or older).
The goal of this three day clinic is to ensure that individuals who pass are capable to be either a Referee or an Assistant Referee in 11 a-side soccer. This is done with experienced referee instructors who use video educational material and practical on field sessions. The topics covered include, but are not limited to the Laws of the Game, Positioning, Signals, Administration of the game, Pre-Match Preparation, and Match Reporting. Successful individuals have their first year’s registration free.
Prerequisite: Minimum 14 Years old by or on the day of the clinic
Clinic Length: 17 hours
Clinic Time: Friday 6pm - 10pm - Saturday 9am - 5pm - Sunday 9am - 2pm
Clinic Fee: $125.00 (plus a $4.25 user fee / system processing fee)
Schedule of Clinics and Registration:
Rates of Pay
- U9-U10 - $20 per game.
- U11-U12 - $25 per game, please note: ($5 travel surcharge for games not at Memorial).
- U16-U18 Assistant Referee - $25 per game, please note: ($5 travel surcharge for games at Trillium, Livingston and Empire).
- Referees will be emailed the upcoming weekend's schedules for U9-U10, U11-U12 and U16-U18 AR games by the Referee Scheduler on or before Wednesday afternoon.
- Referee availability is due back to each Referee Scheduler as to their directions.
- If we do not fill all Assistant Referees for our U16-U18 home games, we will be fined by the Vancouver District.
If you have been assigned a game and are not able to make it, you will need to contact the appropriate Referee Scheduler.
Please note: Those who do not accept games, cancel games they were assigned, do not show up and/or are constantly late to games, will be removed from the “call out list”.